Saturday, October 15, 2005

Beijing for a few days

I've made it to Beijing. I didn't arrive until about 10:30 this morning. Another overnight bus. It went alright. I feel special on the busses because the drivers take good care of me. I know it's because they think I'm stupid and don't understand anything that is going and basically they are right.

For some reason, in the middle of the night, well around 23:30, we just switched busses. That I was strange, I thought it was just going to be another trip to the bathroom. The new bus had better beds but I still don't understand why we switched.

So far, I haven't done much in Beijing. I've been to Tianamen Square (I should learn how to spell that probably) and I met 2 Aussies and an American who are all studying in Shanghai. I'm not sure why exactly. They've been in Shanghai for about 6 weeks. I hung out with them for quite a few hours. They rented bikes and I had to sit on this little metal rack for too long. I'm surprised I'm not more sore from that. Later we switched and Lana from Melbourne hung on to the back and I wasn't the best driver so she rode with her boyfriend, Alex, on a smaller rack. Basically, that's what happened. Lana was sick of Chinese food so we ate at McDonalds and had a run-in with an old woman. I'm not sure why but there's a 10 yuan fee to park your bike outside (meals were like 20 yuan). Anyways, we left and refused to pay. I think it was a bike guarding fee or something. Anyways, she held on the back of one of the bikes (not mine) and wouldn't let go. Eventually, we wrestled the bike from her and sped off. She grabbed hold of Lana I guess and Lana punched her in the bum or something and got away. Someone was snapping pictures to give to the police later. It was all very bizarre. I'm supposed to meet them and some other foreigners(Beijing residents) later tonight. Actually, I should've already called them. My sparkling insights into Beijing will have to wait until tomorrow.

1 comment:

asdfjhn said...

Wow, physical confrontation...they were taking pictures of you leaving and refusing to pay or you and the old woman having it out on the back of some metal bar onthe back of what I gather to be a bike?