Sunday, October 16, 2005

Lazy Day in Beijing

I had a very leisurely day today. I woke up late. Was on the internet for awhile and then headed downtown around 1:30. I really didn't do much of anything. I went to a bookstore, felt a bit tired and sick so I got something to eat. Then I walked past Tianamen square, the only thing I've really seen in this city, to another bookstore since I didn't find the book I wanted. I guess I should explain.

I've decided to skip out on the 'stans. Actually, it's not definite but that looks the way it's going at the moment. I'll probably miss Urumqi and Kashgar too. It's all up in the air really so maybe I'll go there. China's just so big. It would be a 53 hour train ride there and then back. 106 hours is a big investment plus there's another 24 hour bus ride between the two cities. I guess it's mostly a money thing, maybe time. 106 is a bit excessive, maybe masochistic. Anyways, my plan now is to go to Tibet and spend some time there and then head over to Nepal. From Nepal, I guess it would be India, then Myanmar, and Thailand. I don't know whether I have any desire to go to Bangladesh. I guess I'll see how much a visa is. I don't know how long I'd be in India either. The image I have in my head of India is just chaotic, full of beggars, and merchants looking to get as many rupees as possible, or rip you off to put it more plainly. Of course, I'm really just ignorant so it might not be like that at all. It's got to be somewhat like that. I really don't know I'd get back to Korea either. I'd either have to go back through China and get another visa or just take a flight from Bangkok or something. I'm not too sure. My lack of concern seems like cause for concern.

The reason I was at the bookstore is that in addition to not knowing much about India, I know precious little about Buddhism too. I managed to find a decent book. 'Essential Buddhism: Introduction to Philosophy and Practice' or something like that. It seems interesting at the moment. The word Buddhahood makes me smile for some reason. I also bought a Harry Potter book since Ulysses is a bit too mind consuming for me. I'd rather not have to read each sentence word by word to discern who the speaker is and then have to read through 3-5 pages of notes at the end of each chapter for all these references to Irish history and other things that I just don't get. I felt like I was learning but it felt so draining. Plus the book is huge so it'll lighten my load a little.

I also bought a knee support thing. My stupid right knee, that's right it;s stupid, has been bothering me. In Shanghai I took a taxi back to my hostel because I couldn't bear the thought of walking much more, plus I was completely lost and it would've taken days to find the way back. I'm supposed to hike the Great Wall tomorrow (I have to be ready at 730am) and it involves a lot of energy I would imagine. All parts of the wall are different and I guess this part is near vertical in some places. Hopefully, I'll feel like less of a geezer tomorrow. It's probably a bad idea to go even but I won't let that stop me. I was hobbling down the steps of the subway station just like this old woman in front of me. If only I were more active, it would make joint pain less embarrassing. It must've been all that standing I was doing. A relic of Wonderland.

What else? I didn't end up meeting those Aussies again. I hung out with the guys from my room last night and this American girl. Two of the guys were Swedish and they'd taken the Trans-Manchurian from Moscow to Beijing. One was Peter (Peder probably) and the other was Alex. I just can't escape running into Alex's in Asia. I think that makes 4, mind you one wasn't really Alex but I didn't learn his Korean name, Pak something I think, Kim maybe. Doesn't matter. (Best I could muster, Thompson, nothing that witty pops to mind). The 3rd guy grew up in China but had been living in New York since he was 12 or 13. The girl, I don't know how to describe her really, she was from Kansas originally but has been bumming around China since August.... of 2004. She also speaks virtually no Chinese which seems really weird being that she's been here so long. So the 5 of us went out for eats (feeling slangy I guess). I had a taste of Peking duck, bad Peking duck I was told and some other things. Then we had a drink at some bar and the Swedes and I were too tired to do anything else so we went back to the room and a disappointed James and.... oops forgot her name already came back also. Anika I think. Yes, Anika. The Asians or East Asians at least like to have the whitest shade of skin possible tell Anika that she is 'too black.' Pretty face but too black.

Anyways, it's been a slow day. There were so many people walking around that I was glad I didn't go to any of the tourist meccas. I'll have to go to bed early tonight for the Wall tomorrow. As I was reading my Essential Buddhism book, I thought about writing all this stuff about what I thought and whatever but it hardly seems worth it now.

Oh, I also got my haircut today. For only 5 yuan, all but maybe an inch of my hair got to decorate a whole section of flooring. Ah, my 75c haircut. I don't even miss my hair, I thought I would.

1 comment:

asdfjhn said...

Dude, I could have given you HP...Iv'e got the copy here on the desk. Or even one of my Fantastic Mr. Fox copies. I feel like you're just trying to rack up as many countries on your "done" list as you can to tick me off. I ended up not getting my hair cut. It occurred to me that I can just get my hair cut in December or something. Maybe I'll look like you by the time you come back. Motley meets Edmonton. BTW, did I tell you about Freedom from Calgary? Guy I met yesterday. 2nd degree blackbelt in Taekwon Do. I called him a pussy and we went at it. Total puff.