Friday, September 09, 2005

My Name is Jay Walker

I've been meaning to write about this for awhile. I'm usually a very law-abiding person and all and usually do what the little man tells me to do. A few weeks, maybe more than a few I began jaywalking. It was never anything dangerous, well maybe once. It just makes me feel better for some reason that I don't have to wait and can just go whenever I want (provided no cars are coming). I think it was directly related to how powerful I felt in other areas of my life. I felt utterly helpless and so to prove how much power I had I decided to rebel and walk even though red lights told me not to. After I quit though or when I'm feeling more content, I'm fine waiting for the light to change. It feels so nice to just leave people waiting on the curb while you brush past them right onto the street.

There was only one dangerous time. I was feeling quite pissed off that day and there were cars coming. I waited until a giant bus was rounding the corner and walked behind it. There was a Korean man whose mouth was just agape. He couldn't believe what I had done. I don't know why that made me feel good. Sidenote: I actually met a guy named Jay Walker once but never put it together until later. He was in my speech class and had done some missionary work or something in Kenya. It was kind of depressing to hear about how the Masai (sp) were into Shaq and the NBA. It's very hard to escape western pop culture I think. I heard that Kate Winslet was hiking through the Himalayas or doing something in a very remote place and she happened across this elderly man and he looked at her, pointed, and said 'Titanic.' I wonder if there's such a thing as exploring when Paramount or Universal can be anywhere much faster than you.

In other news, I've kind of decided not to teach again. I have good days and bad days but really I don't know if I care to have any more of the bad days. It's kind of sad that I didn't finish my year here. I've discussed my job with a few people and I don't think any of them would have stayed. I applied at this one school and she said even she would've quit and I didn't even tell her anything in detail. I wouldn't mind teaching here for another 6 months just to complete my year here but I doubt I will find anything like that with decent hours in the area I want. Really, I would only want to teach for 3 and leave when a friend of mine is. Either way though, one of us would have 90 days of feeling alone and abandoned. I also had been thinking about having freedom again and after that any job just doesn't sound appealing.

As of now, my plans are very much in the air. I have a basic plan but I don't know whether I have time to prepare it. I've been in Korea for 5.5 months now and I feel as though I've seen nothing of Asia, even Korea. I'll probably go to Seoul for my first time next weekend. I have an open return date, well one I will have to change regardless, so I figure that I should stay and do a bit of travelling. I feel like I've got to do something epic. I'll probably go to South East Asia sometime in my life but I don't know when if ever I would journey to central Asia. My rough plan involves the trans-siberian railroad. I will either ride from Vladivostok to Moscow or the reverse and take some other form of land travel and maybe go through Kazakstan and Turkmenistan or something. I really need to do some research on this though and might skim through some travel guides tomorrow. My plan is for the journey to last about 30-40 days maybe. I'd like to be back in North America before the end of November so I can use my free flight which will expire at the end of that month. That's another part of it. I think I might just go home for a couple months and find some crappy job that doesn't require trying to control the behaviour of others. Then in February possibly take a road trip down to Latin America. I should take advantage of my Chilean entry fee which is good until the expiration of my passport. None of this has been well thought out of course so who knows what will happen to me.

1 comment:

asdfjhn said...

Don't worry about me slugger, I'm a champ. It'll be gravy for me.