Saturday, July 23, 2005

I slept

I'm awake now. I should probably still be trying to sleep but it's an exercise in futility really. 35 degrees in my apartment. That's right, slightly hotter than freezing for all you Fahrenheit thinkers. I just read what I wrote last night. It was pretty impressed with my drunken typing skills. A few mistakes but it was so clear and understandable. I thought it would be completely garbled and beyond comprenhension even for those who correct journals for kids who barely speak English. They are tricky to read. I have one kid who always throws in random A's. I went a to a grandmother a home. I wonder if it's uh's that he's trying to use. I wonder how many times I say Uh during the day. Probably a lot more than I think I do. It's better than the Russian version. They bring their chin down so that they have no neck and made an mmmm sound from the back of the throat. Maybe that was just the tour guide who did that. That was a strange trip to Moscow. Our tour guide pointed out every McDonald's to us. Do non-Westerners think that we are just uber-in love with McDonald's and can't get enough? The golden arches are embarrassing but I imagine some people think that must be the only place we eat. What was I writing about again. Let's see how many digressions I made. My typing to diary entries to the Uh sound to the Russian mmm sound to McDonald's. Sounds about right.

So I edited out something I wrote last night. I warned you I would do it. Now, you'll just have to wonder what it was about. It was nothing any more or less interesting than you'd read here. It only mattered to one person really. I admitted something that she probably already knows but it would be better if I never say anything. Does that make it as obvious as I think it does? I thought about leaving it up since it entertained me slightly and she probably never reads this. It's gone now and you'll just have to wonder.

Oh one of my comments about something wouldn't make sense. My one little stumble in my drunken typing spree. I did a search for myself. I googled my blog name. It turned up on some website about the marketability of a website. toothpaste for dinner. I guess some of you have clicked that link. I have potential to bring B$611 to the website if it were profit based. I think B$ are blog dollars. Anyways, I was number 96 on the list or something. Now, I'm not even in the top 100 not that I had far to fall. I looked at a cached version. I felt a bit proud about it. Well, not after realizing that I'm no longer in the top 100. I always imagine that no one reads this. No one does really but all of the sudden a few people click a link and my blog name appears on a list. Strange. Number 1 had B$23,000.

Let's see, there's nothing more of interest to write. I really wonder if I'll be able to sleep under covers with clothes on again though. Why don't I have AC? Should I try and see if I can go back to sleep? Ok.

1 comment:

Vivec said...

It's seriously embarrassing how our major visible contribution to other cultures is fast food. Koreans totally identify 'Dunkin Donuts' and MacDonalds and 'Burger King' and Starbucks with the USA and North America. I think it totally sucks. I hardly ever eat fast food here anymore because I'm embarrassed to be a foreigner in these places.


I also hate how these 'restaurants' are used as landmarks for every map that is intended to be used by non-Koreans. For one thing - they are a supernumerous blight on every city so they aren't reliable as landmarks. Oh, is this the Subway (sandwich shoppe) that I'm supposed to turn at, or is it the one to my left or the one right across the freakin' street???

Why couldn't we have exported something more enlightened? Why did we create this massive crap as our identity?