Sunday, July 17, 2005

A failed attempt, pig rectum, bungee jumping and a new superpower

It's been an interesting week but for some reason it doesn't actually feel like it has been. Anyways, shall I start the narrative?

I forget when I last wrote. I don't feel like checking. I'll start with Monday. It was another humdrum day. I don't remember what I did during my break. Something useless to be sure. Actually, I think I checked job postings. I had decided to quit the next day. We had our usual staff meeting. Maybe I wrote about Monday already. Let's jump ahead. Monday and Tuesday weren't interesting. I did have to miss my Korean lesson on Tuesday though so I could go to the presentation. This seems familiar too. One more day.

Wednesday. Wednesday was an awful day. I stayed up too late the night before. Maybe I was writing this. Hmmm. I don't know. Anyways, my Melons were a bit of a handful that day. I had them for 3 of their 4 English classes that day. I hate Wednesdays. I have 2 - 1.5 hour breaks between 10 and 8. So basically Wednesday I do nothing but work. I was going to quit on Tuesday but my boss was gone by the end of the day. Why do I stay later than the boss? There are only 5 people in the entire school from 6:30-8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 3 students, myself, and one Korean just waiting to lock the door behind us. Anyways, I don't know why Wednesday was so bad. My last class I had had it. No outbursts or anything but it was very exhausting. It really is the hump in my week. If I make it through Wednesday, the week is practically over for me. Leave early on Thursdays and come in late on Fridays. I get to escape the school for 15 hours or something. Most days it's only 13 or something. I really wonder what it's like saying goodbye to your work environment for 16 hours......everyday. That would be nice. Anyways, I had my class of 3 boys. I went through their pages practically screaming out all the vocab words. I might as well be invisible in that class. After about 20 minutes of that I just gave them some paper. They like drawing.

So after that, I filled out my daily report and went to talk to Jupiter. I told him I was unhappy with my hours and that I wanted to give my 40 day notice. Actually, I put it a bit too politely. "I think I might have to give my notice." Anyways, he told me he knew it wasn't the best schedule, that in 2-3 months it would be different, he had big plans for the new school, etc. Being the passive person that I am just went with it. The decision to quit was made rather suddenly and I can always try to quit again. I've decided to give it at least another month. Because really, if I need to give 40 days notice that's over a month and if I make it to 6 months, I don't have to repay the initial airfare. I guess it's worth putting up with to save $1000. I have no idea how much the ticket was. Things seemed to get better after I tried to quit. My boss gave me a ride home the next day (never happens). He apologized again about my schedule and even asked if my apartment was hot. I downplayed it though. Why do I feel like I can't ever be demanding? Anyways, so that's that about work. It's starting to get hot again. Maybe I'll have to give an ultimatum during the week. This no sleep business makes everything so much worse. David was absent on Friday. I actually felt fine walking home.

So that's enough about work. I went out with Alex after trying to quit. We were pushed out of Starbucks (closing time 10:30) and walked around and went to a jazz bar. We had gone to this one bar before called Jazz on Jazz. No Jazz. This place was called That. There was no band playing but they actually played some jazz music. I also stumbled upon a painting there called 'Silence give consent.' I think I should try to incorporate that one into my life. It's actually a quote by Pope Boniface VII or some pope with a name like that and a number attached. I think it was really a quote about people doing unchristian things and the need to punish them for it probably. I was thinking about making a little plaque, well writing it on paper, and posting it above my work station. People complain about cubicles all the time. I would kill to have a cubicle.

The next night, I went out again. Alex, 2 of his Korean friends (30ish, I guess), and I went to a hotel that had a brewery in the basement. It was pretty good beer. We didn't stay there for very long. The Koreans decided to take us somewhere else. We ended up going to some little restaurant and eating Makjang (I don't know how to spell it so that's my guess). It's the specialty dish of Daegu. So here's how you make it. Find pig rectum, cut it up with scissors, put over flames, and consume. I really can't believe that I ate it. Nor could many of you who know what kind of eater I am. It was something about just being in the moment, I guess, or to say that I ate pig rectum or anus. Also, I need to eat more and had had a fair amount to drink. I also had little bugs of some kind that grossed out even a Korean. She spoke Italian. For some reason, it didn't seem the least bit strange that this Korean was speaking Italian. Sometimes, my life doesn't seem real. It was probably the surreality (if that's a word) that made me eat pig asstube. It turns out that the Koreans had actually hijacked the evening and destroyed Alex's plans for the night. That's really not for me complain about though.

Friday night, I didn't do much of anything. I hung out at home. I was going to do this but decided to order a pizza and watch my season finale of Alias. It was very disappointing, I must say. Worst episode ever. So that was Friday basically.

Saturday I had to go to work for a stupid speech contest. They told us to be there at 1:40 so the kids could rehearse. I started getting ready late so I was about 5-10 minutes late or something. I even took a taxi to get to the school. It's really kind of disappointing when you rush to get somewhere thinking you are late and then find out you'll just be sitting at your workstation for 40 minutes. I guess it was the Korean teachers who needed to be there that early. I really don't know what's going on half the time. After the speeches were over, they handed out little prizes to the kids. We had to go up and hand them out. Anyways, I go up and then go to sit back down again. Nope, I was supposed to stay up there. Then after handing out some more prizes, I decided I would stay up. Nope, I was supposed to go sit down. I wasn't really looking at the stage and Amy had to tell me to sit down over the microphone. I swear sometimes, I'm just like a chicken without a head or something. I have no clue what is going on. Matt and Renee mentioned that we should go out afterwards. They're nice people and all but their word means absolutely nothing. Jupiter 'invited' everyone to go out for supper. Renee said sorry but they had plans. So there I was stuck with a bunch of Koreans. That's when I discovered my superpowers. It turns out that I can become invisible. I'm not sure how I activate my superpowers and I think it fades every 15 minutes or so. It's a useful power though. I'm really glad I'm not the only waygook(foreigner) at my school. I can't even imagine what that must be like.

So afterwards, I came home. I wasn't feeling great. Alex was supposed to be spending the day with this Korean he met. Leaving the city and everything with a guy named Dragon. Yes, Dragon. It turned out not to be a great day for him either. We went out and got pretty drunk off Jack & Cokes. I met some non-North Americans and we all ended up going to Gypsy Rock. I'd never been there before. It's basically a foreigner bar with dancefloors and what not. There were a lot of Koreans though. I had a good time. I got drunk, I danced, I ditched my friend, I cut my leg somehow, and came home. Twice now, I've told the cab driver Wolbae Yok and he drops me off way past the station and just says Wolbae and points around to show me we're in Wolbae. Didn't you hear my 'yok' man? It's too much of a hassle so I just walk from wherever they let me off. It was only a 3 minute walk or something but still. I had the foresight to buy some water. I'm not sure how I managed that. I was shocked when I left the bar and it was dawn. I was surprised not be doing too badly today. I don't understand how mixing alcohols can make so much of a difference.

So today, I talked to my parents for a bit and then went to Woobang Towerland. It was a very surreal day. Maybe it was from the night before, I don't know. It was much more themed than I'd imagined it would be. Oh yeah. Woobang is an amusement park. It was very disneyfied. There was a haunted house there. It was so scary. I almost had several heartattacks let me tell you. Walking through a tunnel filled with slow moving hydraulic monsters sure is exhilarating. Anyways, I went with Alex and a guy from his work. We went on a few roller coasters. We went on one and on it I just felt like I wasn't there. I've really got to start eating and sleeping regularly. My world is definitely becoming more dreamlike. I wonder if my dreams are becoming more real. I'll be happy when summer is over and I can actually sleep well for at least one night. I'm so glad I'm only a temporary insomniac (I hope).

So after not feeling very alive, I decided I would shock myself alive by going bungee jumping. It was pretty fun actually. I wanted to do it again right afterwards. It went by so fast. It was only about $25 which is so much cheaper than it would be at home. I don't know how high it was. Maybe 20m or something. Not all that high. Maybe less. I'm a really bad judge of stuff like this. It was strange though. They made me put on this striped polo shirt and fitted me up at the bottom. I had to walk up an absurd amount of stairs feeling like a prisoner in my uniform and foot shackles with the attached rope being held in my hands. I was out of breath when I got to the top. It actually started to feel real when I got near the top. What the hell am I doing? So anyways, I was out of breath and the guy just wanted me to jump right away. He had to do the countdown twice. 3,2,1, bungee, nothing. I didn't jump. I don't know why I didn't. It became a bit too real maybe. Plus, I wanted to relax a bit after my strenous stairclimb. I jumped on the second countdown though which happened only 5-10 seconds later. It felt pretty cool to just free fall like that. It didn't last very long though. After the initial drop though it was almost relaxing to just bob up and down. It felt nice. I was just totally limp, not in control at all. Like a ragdoll, I was. I can't believe I went bungee jumping today. I felt like a bit of a fool afterwards too. I just wanted to smile. It was probably because of the massive amount of blood that had gone to my head or a rush of adrenaline or something. Maybe I should just spend more time hanging upside down.

This doesn't sound nearly as interesting as I thought it would. Maybe it's because I've gone back to feeling detached. I wonder if it's the no sleep, no food thing or whether it's just from living in Korea where I don't understand the reasoning behind many things and I can't communicate with like 99% of people. I'm going to start regimenting my diet. Ok it's 3 o'clock. Time for a sandwich or whatever. I'm down to 64 kilos. This can't be good.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, vastly different entry from your last two postings. Don't feel alone brother! I finally went to downtown Daegu to check out the nightlife--let's just say it's crazy! Btw-where did you go bungee jumping? Sounds like I need to try that too.