Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A Canadian Dokdo

Territorial disputes are just stupid. Especially when the land in question is barren and inhospitable to life. Korea and Japan are fighting over 2 rocks in the middle of the Sea of Japan or the East Sea as Korea calls it. They are worthless rocks. There's really nothing you could even do with them except do a victory dance on them or something. It's thoroughly ridiculous.

The Canadian land dispute is even more ridiculous. Canada and Denmark are locked in a battle over a tiny rocky barren little island in the Arctic. You would really think that two countries as rational as Canada and Denmark would realize what a silly little battle it was especially since the two countries don't have any bad history (that I'm aware of at least). I guess both Canada and Greenland need yet another barren, frozen piece of rock. Both countries have more than they know what to do with. It's all about potential I guess. Here's an article about it that I read today:

Hans Island

Why can't it just become a dual protectorate or something? I think there's some Caribbean Island that is owned by the Netherlands (St. Maartan's) and France (St. Martin). At least a Caribbean island is something worth fighting over. They should really just do that and let it become some symbol of Canada-Denmark relations or the unity of the Inuit people rather than a symbol of greed and stupidity. At least it's not as heated as Dokdo.

Also, despite being so angry yesterday, I'm feeling okay about everything today. I ordered a pizza and took it downtown and ate it outside of Starbucks with Alex. Then we went out and had several pitchers of beer. At least 3. I told my boss I would actually go help out with the move today but only for a couple hours. Anyways, I didn't feel like going. It's my first day of vacation, I'm not obligated to go. My phone rang around 10:15 today. I wonder who it could've been. I bet Jupiter got Amy to call me. I would've been more pleasant with her. The VP should at least be at the school setting things up. It really isn't fair to the other teachers that I didn't go but ultimately, it was unfair of Jupiter to demand everyone go. That's an injustice committed by Jupiter not me. If they don't mind being taken advantage of that's fine. I really wonder what will happen when I go back to work on Wednesday. I wonder where the new little lecture room will be. I'm sure I'll get something about my attitude, not being a team player, etc. I couldn't care less really. I'm sure I've alienated myself from the other teachers but I doubt it would really make my work environment much less pleasant. I posted something online at Dave's. I feel totally vindicated. I don't feel the least bit bad about what I did. I don't even mind if I'm fired over the whole thing. I can go over to that Prisoner of Wonderland site. Fired for not going to work on a vacation day that is guaranteed to me under my contract. That's just about ridiculous enough to happen actually. I will probably totally get the staredown from the other teachers and everyone. I've never felt more like a rebel. I actually hope they do lecture me and then I can just tell them how ridiculous the whole thing is. It would probably scare them if they realized they couldn't control me. I really can't imagine myself being the loose canon at work but I really think I must be now. That's completely unexpected. Korea will definitely change me more than Denmark or the US ever did.

1 comment:

Vivec said...

My friend is a prof at the University of Calgary's Centre for Military and Strategic Studies. I told him he should write his next editorial on this important matter.

We will not see our sovereignty eroded by the bloodthirsty vikings yet again!!