Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Teacher's pet and other stuff


118_1822
Originally uploaded by blueshoewhotwo.
It turns out my last night at the gym is tonight but I don't feel much like going. I'll be a bum for a few hours instead. I haven't done that since....Sunday.

Anyways, I've decided that I have a favourite student. Actually, I have a couple. There are a few I really don't like but unlike in real life, well maybe that's not true exactly, you have to pretend to like them and have to have pleasant conversations with them. I talked to one yesterday about George Michael. His favourite George Michael song was something whispers. I don't really know his music that well. He also sang 'Like a pridguh obah turahbeled wadah' telling me how much he liked the Beatles. He's alright though. Smart and listens, just annoying at times. Mostly because of how he likes to hold my arms and grab me. It's not all that cute at age 13. That actually seems old to me now. There are others I don't like because they are slow, and never listen. The comma's there because I was going to write something else but it wouldn't have been nice.

So this picture is of Karen. Let me tell you about Karen. Puppies are her favourite animal and she likes the colour yellow, but sometimes it's pink. She has a sister and her dad is the smallest in her family and wears sunglasses. I wonder what that means psychologically. I don't imagine it says much for her father. It was a drawing of her family. Karen also likes to spell and do math. She likes to ask me how to spell random words and then writes them down. 'Teacher, how to spell apple?' which is much better than 'Teacher, apple spelling is what?' I hate the word what with a korean accent. It's awful. Karen also likes to tell others when they are misbehaving and gives them warnings. I guess the Korean teachers have talked to them. She tells Paul when he's doing something bad:'Paul, Julie teacher be angry.' Today Karen even gave me a present. I came into school and her and the boss' daughter were at the front desk. Karen comes to school so much earlier than all the other kids. I'm not sure why. I think she has connections. Once, Jupiter gave her his coat to wear when it was cold. He did nothing for the other 20 kids on the field trip. That's where I took this picture. Anyways, she opens this box. I have no idea what it is and am not sure whether to take it or not. I don't and just tell her that it's nice. I also ask if she works at the school now. She doesn't understand so I ask if she sits at the front all day now. She giggles. So smart. It turns out they were vitamin C supplements and they were all mine. I think you mix it in with your drink.

I didn't think I would like Karen at first. She was such a suck-up when I saw her being taught by Amy. Well not really a suck-up but just smart and maybe a blind follower. Someone who would definitely do well in a totalitarian society. I don't think that anymore. Maybe it's because it's my totalitarian society now except I'm not really tyranical enough. Karen would be my second in command though. Kate would be my archnemesis who I would probably have killed. She's not that bad, she just tries to wrestle power from me. Today she stole Catherine's guitar because hers wasn't perfect. It was their science experiment to make a guitar from a box. For some reason, it is really hard for them to understand that I can only help one person at a time. I always have at least 2 people shoving something at me while I'm helping someone else. Kate takes it harder than others when I tell her I'm helping someone else. She has a little tantrum and yells 'teeeeeeechhhhaaaaahhhh.' She's better than she was especially with my sticker policy. If she's bad she loses a sticker. It's hard with non-classes like science and phys ed though which is what we do on Tuesdays. They all got 5 today even though they didn't deserve it. I only gave Paul 4. He never takes the stickers and isn't sad to lose them when he's bad. I put them on his page though. It's a reward sticker page. After you fill all the squares with stickers you get some awesome prize. I'm not sure what but the kids want stickers...except Paul. Very non-materialistic. He's an artist type. A 5 year-old eccentric. Anyways, I just stuck 4 stickers on his page. I'm a little worried about him and the open house.

One month from now, well the 13th of June. The parents are coming in, well have the opportunity to come in and watch classes for the day. Luckily I only have one 1 hour class that day. Matt and Renee are observed for 3 hours. I'm glad I don't have 2 kindergarten classes. The Melons aren't the best class. Paul and Kate make the difference I think. Paul just doesn't answer which gets kind of annoying when you try to ask one question five different ways and he doesn't even look at you. Or else he'll look right at you and say 'Nothing.'
Paul, how are you? Nothing.

Paul how are you doing today? Nooothiiing.

Paaaauuuuulllll.

Paul, how are you?


Paaaauullllll.....
Nothing

Ok Paul

Everyday. So exhausting.
I wonder how he'll be with his mother there. I don't think it's a happy day when you realise your kid isn't the smartest in the class. I'm supposed to prepare a lesson plan by the end of the week. So early. Karen's parents will be happy I think.

We had a teacher's meeting last night. I didn't get to leave work until 9:30. That really isn't the worst part though. The worst part is that it started at 8 and maybe 10 minutes total was spent talking in English. The rest was pretty much just Korean. I could've left at 8:15. They also print off a schedule of the meeting and they basically just read the English part. There's no point to being there. It gives Matt and Renee and I a chance to get to know each other though. I finished my phone teaching tonight, which seems unrelated, except that yesterday they told us to finish it by that night. A little impossible seeing as how I was at work until 930. Oh well.

I feel like they are also dropping subtle hints my direction. At the meeting, they brought up classroom management stuff mentionning stuff that I let the kids get away sometimes and how bad those things were. I suppose they're right and it is less uncomfortable than a face to face meeting about the issue but uncomfortable all the same. Some of my kids have also been spoken too. Today during phys ed (I can't bring myself to call it PE) they were supposed to do jump rope or skipping as I would call it. The ropes were too long for them to do it alone and with two people holding the rope they were too scared to jump in. I tried to get them to listen to me. I even tried different things with the rope but the kids weren't having it. I tried to get them to put other toys away but they did it slowly. After class, Amy talked with them. I wasn't there. I think she peeked it when I was trying to lead them in an activity. I heard some kids say, Amy teacher angry. I didn't see her though. I guess she understands it was more a kids being bad issue than a teacher just letting them do whatever. It still makes me feel a bit incompetent though, not that I'm not.

She left another class today to come tell my class that they should never leave the classroom. I let them go to the bathroom or for water too much. They get annoying so it's nice to have a short break from them. She was talking to the students but I could tell it was directed in large part to me. I really do appreciate the non-direct approach though. Less embarassing. It bothered me a little today though just because I let the kid go to the front because he had some kind of cut or something so he went to get a bandaid. That was Alex. Another one of my favourites. Not the smartest but cute. He has such a small voice and even when he's really angry he's cute.

I got a ride home from work today. Tuesdays aren't my favourite days. I'm the only one teaching from 630-800. It's so strange teaching only 3 students when the whole school is empty. I let them listen to a song today which I did last week. It is their listening class. Usually they just listen to boring English dialogue spoken slowly. It doesn't take them very long. I thought it would be fun since they like to sing in class. I just give them the lyrics and remove a few words that they have to fill in. Not my favourite music (today was I Drove All Night by Celine Dion, it's on my Juno's (Canadian grammy's) cd) mind you but I thought it would be good. Jupiter came by and seemed concerned. I explained what I was doing to him. He didn't seem impressed but he seemed okay with it. I asked him after class and the girls had left. He wouldn't have said anything I think but I asked so he said he'd prefer I not do it. Fine with me really, since that was the only non-textbook material I ever prepared. I don't mind but it makes me wonder what else I'm doing that he doesn't like but wouldn't tell me. Anyways, as I was leaving he offered to drive me home. I was a bit worried since I thought maybe he wanted to talk about my teaching and what a bad teacher I was. Actually, I think I'm mediocre. I could be better but I could also be a lot worse. I think he just wanted to know details about my parents trip. I also think that there might have been something he wanted to bring up but didn't have the courage too. I brought up the open house, in case there was something, a lead-in if you will to anything he might want to discuss. Nothing. Koreans can be so hard to read.

That's really all I have on my mind at the moment. Actually there was one more thing. We're having a teacher's workshop on May 28th. One of my maybe 4-5 Saturday commitments throughout the year. My parents are going to be here that weekend. I wonder if I can get out of parts of it. The want to discuss the books and the curriculum in general. I don't think 6 weeks really gives me much time to evaluate the textbooks. It's all day long to. From 1000 to 1700. So long. I'd completely forgotten about it too. My parents don't even know. That'll be disappointing I think since that really only leaves a total of 4 days that they'll get to see me. June 6th is a national holiday. Getting off work at 8 doesn't leave much time for anything. I guess I could see them at lunch which is around a time that's perfect for screwing up daily activities. Daegu doesn't have much for tourists and my 2-330 break wouldn't let them leave the city. I wonder if I should tell them to reschedule their flight. They'll probably still be jetlagged that day. Maybe it's not the worst thing. If only it weren't until 5. So that's what I've been thinking about this past few hours.

No wait, one more quick thing. Someone knocked at my door earlier. There was a Korean woman there. She looked in my apartment said something in Korean and left. I think she was lost but what if she wasn't? A little strange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like Karen. She seems real cute.
Hope all is well.
Reka