Monday, October 23, 2006

Change

Despite initial hopes and expectations, I don't think my second stint at English teaching will last much longer than my first. I've been having trouble with my bosses lately. And even if I get everything I want, I'm not sure I'd be that satisfied. I just don't there's much more for me to be got by being here aside from a little more money in my pocket. Sometimes, I enjoy my job and while I'm in the classroom it never seems that bad. The idea of work though is something that I'm beginning to despise. Just having to go into work and feeling that my work doesn't matter is starting to bother me.

Perhaps, it's because I either don't notice any progress being made by any of the students or they aren't making much at all. Some of my initial plans have also gone awry. I was going to take Korean lessons and then my bosses proved themselves to be unreasonable and I decided to cut my stay short by a few months. At which point, the 4 hours spent learning how to ask what something was and to say what something is or isn't seemed especially useless. (Is this a shoe? No, it's not a shoe. It's a chair.) I also skipped to the end of the book and could still follow it and so 4 hours a day 5 days a week to practice speaking seemed hardly worth the time or expense.

I had also planned to be better friends with my co-workers by this point. Of course, I favoured others over them so am a bit alienated from them. I'm not sure I have all that much in common with them anyways and going out can be fun every once in awhile but I don't really relish the idea of getting drunk at every opportunity.

So instead of talking badly about the past which I feel is all I really ever do on this thing. I should try to be positive about the future. I suppose the possibilities can be both exciting and unnerving.

No comments: