Wednesday, April 13, 2005

I'm a teacher now?

I started writing this earlier but somehow managed to change the keyboard to only write in Korean characters and couldn't get it back. Anyways, here's last Friday:

I don't have to be at school until 11. Or was it 10? I was pretty sure it was 11. I decide to go over to my new apartment and see if I can't take out any money with my bank card. I follow my directions, Glass house, blue house, then my building. I walk inside but it doesn't look familiar. I go back outside to see if there was some other entrance that I'd used. Can't find one. I go back in and find number 305. My key doesn't even pretend to fit in the look. Did Gareth give me the wrong key? Nope, I'm at the wrong building. They look exactly the same. Grey building with red windowpanes and a convenience store underneath. I find my apartment and go inside. I look around a bit but really there was no point to coming here so I leave and go to E-Mart. I heard they had a machine that accepted foreign cards. I find a few banks along the way. 타일르 (my name in Korean...I think)

It's happened again so I'm writing in a new window. Maybe it just happens. Anyways, my card doesn't work at any of the banks. I make my way to E-Mart. It seems farther than the other day. I find a bank machine right at the entrance. It doesn't work. Maybe there's another machine. There is. Nada. I find another one. It actually looks promising. There's a Cirrus logo and everything. Finally I get to see what Korean money looks like. It's kind of boring. Not very colourful and it's all the same. For some reason, the largest denomination in Korea is 10,000 won. Nothing bigger. So I have this huge stack of 20-10,000 won bills. 10,000 won = 10 USD. Small, right? I take it and rush back to Wonderland in case I really was supposed to be there at 10. Nope, it was 11. Lately whenever someone gives me a time, I remember it and then later I question whether it was an hour before. It never has been so I'm beginning to think something is wrong with me. I'll just have to trust my memory a little more.

I get to the school. I have an outline of stuff that I plan to do. All of the sudden the bells goes off and I go to the classroom. My Melon class. Paul isn't there but there's this new boy named Justin. I don't really remember what I did exactly. It didn't go that badly I thought. Erica doesn't really listen to me and Kate only wants to do something else. She likes to be in control. Catherine's a bit crazy but she can be controlled. Karen and Justin are both good. Then I get an hour break while they have lunch and then I have to play a little boardgame with them. Unfortunately there are 5 students and it's a partner game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Everything is fine except Kate is upset and doesn't want to be my partner. She pouts and walks around the room with this big scowl. I'm not sure if they're following my instructions but they're playing some kind of game. Karen and Catherine finish. Karen doesn't mind being my partner. The kids aren't crazy so that all that really matters to me at this point. Another break and then Einstein. I'm a bit worried......

..with good reason apparently. Einstein is crazy. First of all, everytime I go into the class they are hiding. Only 3 places to hide really so I don't know why they think it's so much fun. Actually, I didn't find Travis. He was hiding behind the door. The smartest place really. Helen wasn't there today. Laura likes to be in control. She seems a year or 2 older than the others. Glenn likes to lie in the middle of the table and to be anywhere but in his chair. Laura and Glenn chase each other. Basically 40 minutes of craziness but all they had to say was Yes, I do or No, I don't. I figure they know so I can let them be a little crazy. They are so crazy.

A lot of the other classes have tests. That's all there is to do for these classes so once they finish it's more craziness. Every class has one totally crazy person and then a semi-crazy person who would be good if not for the crazy person. Maybe some classes have several crazy people. Kepler doesn't listen. Nobel doesn't listen. Nobody listens. My ELE501 class is alright. Only Sammy doesn't listen but he's not loud so it's okay. Then it's my last class. 2 Girls and 3 boys. Only 3 people total today. Lauren, Aidan, and Robert. Robert likes to be called Bin. In that class, the girls seem smart enough and the boys just act dumb and the girls get pissed off at them. It's happened everytime.

It's Friday night. Oh yeah. I slept in that day and Matt and Renee left me their key. I leave after them. On the way back to their place I notice that I still have their key. Turns out they both have keys so no harm done. Jupiter comes and we take my stuff to my place. I feel bad because my bags are heavy and I leave on the 3rd floor. Nothing to be done. Jupiter leaves me. I go get a pizza and write down some stuff that's on my building. I go to the pizza place that Gareth showed me. They don't speak English and I only know how to say Hello, Yes, and Thank You in Korean. They know pepperoni though. I think all the foreigners they've dealt with want pepperoni. I give them my address but they don't know where it is. In Korea, every building has a number but the numbers are in no kind of order so number 47 and number 12 could be beside each other. Very odd system. I get on his motorbike and he drives me to my house. I'm sure it's exactly where he thought it was but the address I have him probably confused him. Oh well.

I go to the convenience store underneath my place. I go to get water but I'm worried it might be flavoured or carbonated. Out of fear, I get Pepsi. I don't really like Pepsi but it's the only thing I recognise with certainty. It's all I bought so far actually. I should go to another store next time maybe. The pizza man arrives with my order. I give him the money I owe him but he wants to tell me something or ask me something. I have no idea. I think it might be about paying at the store but it really seems like he wants something unless it's just for me to understand. He leaves eventually, defeated.

I was going to unpack but basically I do nothing but watch TV. A few English programs. I have CNN Asia, Arirang which is Korean based but in English or with subtitles at least, and the American Forces Network. All the others are Korean though at times they have English programs but with Korean subtitles. The American Forces Network or AFN is a bit strange. Decent shows but no real commercials only public service announcements all about military life or worse, 1980s PSAs. "Oh no I don't want to have sex so I'll tell him I'm not ready to be a mother and ask if he's ready to be a father. Then we'll go back to just watching TV." There are also these really weird commercials about terrorism. Apparently, window seats are best if you're in the middle but aisle seats are better at the front and rear. I have no idea why but it's best to sit in those seats to avoid terrorism. They also tell me where to sit on busses. No wonder people are so scared of terrorists. I go to bed around 1030. I still haven't talked to my parents.

No comments: