Thursday, April 28, 2005

I had some free time right now so I decided to write a few things. Not much has really happened in the past 2 days but oh well.

Today was activity day at the school. It was Happy Easter Day. Not that close to Easter but only a month off. Well 6 weeks maybe. Well let's start the day. I keep waking up later and later. I'm about 5 minutes later for work every second day. I wish I had more discipline. Then everything was normal except once I got to the crosswalk. I feel the need to complain about crosswalks here. The traffic light system is retarded as far as I'm concerned. Well actually the one I was at at the time is fine but it's the majority of the others that I'm going to talk about. Okay, your standard four way intersection has four sets of light right? One for each direction, I guess, I'll say. Well normally at least 2 of the them are green so it's hard to turn right in traffic (or left for you lone Australian) but in Korea they've taken care of that. Only one of them is lit at a time so you can always turn right (or left) when you have a green light. I don't know what it's like to drive but to be a pedestrian you have to time it just right. So there are four crosswalks right. Well you can only walk across one of them at any point. So if you miss your chance you have to wait for the lights to change 3 other times. No one really jaywalks here either. If they did I wouldn't care but sometimes you just stand there forever waiting. The first time I thought that maybe I just wasn't paying attention and the walk had come and gone. I looked around though. Same people were there.

Well anyways, I was standing at the crosswalk. This one is pretty much familiar, only because 2 lanes can't turn right at all. Well, I sneezed and then my nose started to bleed. I rushed to the school, it wasn't that far, pretending to be fascinated by some tree leaves, signs, sky, whatever. Then I went to the bathroom and was there for 20 minutes, well it felt like that long. In reality it was maybe 15 minutes. My nose would not stop bleeding. I'm worried that maybe I have an iron deficiency or something. I've been having chicken though. Fried chicken, mind you, because I can't find anything else chicken related...unless I bought it at the market but I feel like I get ripped off there. I paid about $2 for 6 bananas. Maybe bananas are just expensive. I didn't try to haggle though. I really don't have the patience. There's supposed to be a Costco in the city somewhere with good deals and western food. I've heard some of the vendors buy all their stuff at Costco and then raise the price. If only it were closeby. Eventually my nose stopped bleeding though so the iron deficiency scare went out of my head. I had visions of me bleeding all day though. I was scared mostly because I was later than usual and no one saw me disappear into the bathroom.

So I had a normal 30 minute class and then an hour break. I'm glad I had that hour. They talked about Easter and painted eggs and did other stuff. Afterwards, we played games. I was in charge of the egg rolling game with one other teacher, though she kept leaving. The other kindergarten classes were so good. The classes rotated games. Then my Melons came to play. I thought all the kindergarten kids were a little misbehaved. Compared to mine they were angels. That Kate is so pushy and has mood swings. Yesterday her little puzzle wasn't perfect and she asked for another one. I didn't have one of course. She keeps bringing me hers. I try to help her and she gets frustrated tears it up and comes back again. I like her Tarzan talk though. Me Kate angry. Paul has quit paying attention completely.

On the plus side, this week has gone by really quickly. I realise that it's not quite over but compared to last week it's just flown by. I should also be getting internet at home soon. Within a few days probably. It'll be so nice to have something to do besides watching my TV. I'll probably venture downtown this weekend. I should be almost fully recovered by then. Maybe, I'll swing by those Korean classes.

I kind of got in trouble yesterday. Amy got ready to do some review over 2 units and found that some students hadn't done their work. It was last Wednesday and I was just starting to get sick so I was a bit rundown. These 4 boys weren't listening that day and wouldn't do their work. I didn't have the energy to do anything about it except repeat 'do your work.' Then they lied and said it was finished. I knew it wasn't but again no energy. So anyways, Amy gave me lecture about making sure their work is done and to assign it as homework if they don't finish. That was before my new rules too so I gave myself some leeway as I knew I wasn't doing my best work. I bet those of you with some degree in education, psychology, or child-based things probably think I'm a horrible teacher. I prefer to say I'm mediocre at the moment.

It's my lunchbreak now. I have to start teaching again in about 43 minutes. Luckily it's my early day so I get to leave at 7 and don't have to be back until 11 tomorrow. That's pretty much all I had to say for the moment.

No comments: